Energy Saving Tips
Ways you can Save Energy Throughout the Year
- Be sure to turn off lights when you leave a room and it may be worthwhile to invest in energy saving bulbs.
- Turn off machines when you leave a room (examples include TV’s, computers, radios, stereos, video games, VCR’s, and DVD players). The Red LED lights on electrical appliances can cost you over £70 per year.
- When you go away on a trip, be sure to unplug these same machines because they have stand-by functions that consume electricity even when they are turned off.
- Check how much electricity your water heater uses. If it uses more than other models of water heaters, replace it with a more efficient one.
- Turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth and take shorter showers. This will not only save water, but it will also save the electricity that it takes to pump and heat the water.
- Wash full loads of clothing instead of smaller ones. Use the coolest water possible for washing and rinsing the clothes.
- Dry one load right after another because this uses less energy since the dryer is already hot.
- Keep your thermostat at or below 50 degrees. If you are cold, put on a sweater or sweatshirt. Remember, you are saving up to 5% on your electric bill for every degree of temperature change.